LENS: Leaders for Emerging Networks of Schools
Leaders for Emerging Networks of Schools, or LENS, is yearlong, part-time training for individuals preparing to take on heightened leadership roles in schools. LENS participants study the best practices of successful schools from across the nation and develop their leadership voice and mindset through hands-on coaching. LENS is a valuable tool for schools looking to build their leadership bench and equip a new wave of leaders.
LENS provides robust content and training on:
- Developing a leader’s mindset and voice with an equity lens
- Managing strong adult culture by equipping and inspiring adults to perform successfully
- Setting appropriate school culture, including arrivals, transitions, thresholds, discipline, and classroom systems
- Delivering effective instruction, including curriculum, rigor, classroom routines and procedures, and assessment
LENS training consists of the following:
Eight days of intense summer training
– June 24 – July 2, 2020 | Boston, Massachusetts
Two additional professional development trainings including seven+ school observations
– November 2020 | Nashville, Tennessee
– March 2021 | Boston, Massachusetts
- Leadership coaching with BES staff on a regular basis via phone, email, and through an online video coaching platform
- Leadership development self-assessment reviewed by BES staff
- On-site visit by BES staff member for observation and formal evaluative report
- Structured network of support with colleagues in the LENS cohort
LENS leaders are:
- committed to school leadership
- aligned with BES beliefs about excellent leaders and schools
- proven effective teachers at the classroom level
- recently elevated to leadership or considered to be on track for school leadership in one to two years
- currently coaching adults in schools for more than two hours per week (or will be doing so in the 2020-2021 school year)
- available to participate in the full calendar of LENS training
LENS costs $15,000 per participant. This includes:
- On-site trainings (initial eight days of training, additional six days of training)
- Hours of detailed leadership coaching from BES staff
- Access to the online coaching portal
- The leadership development self-assessment
- Travel, hotel accommodations, and food for on-site trainings
The application for the 2020-2021 LENS cohort is now live. How does a leader enroll in the LENS program?
STEP ONE: Learn about the LENS program.
Click here for an overview of LENS. Want to know more? Contact us.
STEP TWO: School nominates a LENS leader.
Next, we’d like to learn about your LENS leader candidate through our online nomination form designed to inform us about your candidate’s role, strengths, and goals/professional priorities. Note that applicants must be currently coaching adults 2+ hours per week (or will take on this responsibility in 2020-2021) to be considered for this opportunity.
STEP THREE: LENS leader candidate completes online application.
Additionally, we’d like to learn from the LENS leader candidate through our online HireVue application. The application asks questions about the applicant’s current role, leadership style, and growth areas and requires both written and video responses.
STEP FOUR: BES reviews applications.
The BES LENS team will review applications on a rolling basis through May 15. Accepted candidates will be notified within approximately 10 business days after applying.
STEP FIVE: BES invites select applicants to join the 2020-2021 LENS cohort.
LENS leaders will take part in eight days of intense summer training, two additional professional development trainings, and 7+ school observations. Dates and details above.
For more information about LENS, please contact Krista Pendergast at firstname.lastname@example.org.