LENS: Leaders for Emerging Networks of Schools
Leaders for Emerging Networks of Schools, or LENS, is year-long, part-time training for individuals preparing to take on heightened leadership roles in schools. LENS participants study the best practices of successful schools from across the nation and develop their leadership voice and mindset through hands-on coaching. LENS is a valuable tool for schools looking to build their leadership bench and equip a new wave of leaders.
LENS provides robust content and training on:
- Developing a leader’s mindset and voice, with an equity lens
- Managing strong adult culture by equipping and inspiring adults to perform successfully
- Setting strong student culture, including arrivals, transitions, thresholds, discipline, and classroom systems
- Delivering effective instruction, including curriculum, rigor, classroom routines and procedures, and assessment
LENS training consists of the following:
Eight days of intense summer training
– June 24 – July 2, 2020 | Boston, Massachusetts
Two additional professional development trainings including 7+ school observations
– November 2020 | Nashville, Tennessee
– March 2021 | Boston, Massachusetts
- Leadership self-assessment and one-on-one coaching with BES staff on a regular basis via phone, email, and through an online video coaching platform
- On-site visit by BES staff for observation and formal evaluative report
- Structured network of support with colleagues in the LENS cohort
The 2020-21 LENS program costs $15,000 per participant (includes travel-related expenses).
Become a LENS leader:
How do you apply or nominate a leader for the LENS program?
STEP ONE: School leader nominates a participant for LENS.
Nominate a LENS candidate through our online nomination form to inform us about your candidate’s role, strengths, and goals/professional priorities. Note that applicants must be currently coaching adults 2+ hours per week (or will take on this responsibility in 2020-21) to be considered for this opportunity. Each candidate must have a nomination form completed by their manager/school leader in order to be considered.
STEP TWO: After being nominated, the LENS leader candidate completes our online HireVue application.
After being nominated by their manager/school leader, the LENS leader candidate must complete our online HireVue application. The application requires both written and video responses regarding the applicant’s current role, leadership style, and growth areas.
STEP THREE: BES reviews applications.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through May 15, 2020. Accepted candidates will be notified within approximately 10 business days after applying. Note that candidates must have both a nomination from their school leader/manager and a completed HireVue application in order to be considered.
LENS leaders are:
- committed to school leadership
- aligned with BES beliefs about excellent leaders and schools
- proven effective teachers at the classroom level
- recently elevated to leadership or considered to be on track for school leadership in one to two years
- currently coaching adults in schools for more than two hours per week (or will be doing so in the 2020-2021 school year)
- available to participate in the full calendar of LENS training
Click here for a downloadable overview of LENS. Want to know more? Contact us or email Krista Pendergast at firstname.lastname@example.org.