LENS: Leaders for Emerging Networks of Schools
Leaders for Emerging Networks of Schools, or LENS, is year-long, part-time training for individuals preparing to take on heightened leadership roles in schools. LENS participants study the best practices of successful schools from across the nation and develop their leadership voice and mindset through hands-on coaching. LENS is a valuable tool for schools looking to build their leadership bench and equip a new wave of leaders.
LENS provides robust content and training on:
- Developing a leader’s mindset and voice, with an equity lens
- Managing strong adult culture by equipping and inspiring adults to perform successfully
- Setting strong student culture, including arrivals, transitions, thresholds, discipline, and classroom systems
- Delivering effective instruction, including curriculum, rigor, classroom routines and procedures, and assessment
LENS training consists of the following:
- Nine days of summer training in Boston (if travel is permitted due to COVID-19)
- Two additional professional development trainings including 7+ school observations
– November 4-7, 2020 | Virtual
– March 24-27, 2021 | Boston, MA or Virtual
Note: school observations will only take place if school is back in session and it is safe to conduct visits.
- Leadership self-assessment and one-on-one coaching with BES staff on a regular basis via phone, email, and through an online video coaching platform
- On-site visit by BES staff for observation and formal evaluative report
- Structured network of support with colleagues in the LENS cohort
The 2020-21 LENS program costs $14,000 per participant (includes travel-related expenses). This is a reduced price due to budgetary implications of the COVID-19 crisis.
LENS leaders are:
- committed to school leadership
- aligned with BES beliefs about excellent leaders and schools
- proven effective teachers at the classroom level
- recently elevated to leadership or considered to be on track for school leadership in one to two years
- currently coaching adults in schools for more than two hours per week (or will be doing so in the following school year)
- available to participate in the full calendar of LENS training
Become a LENS leader:
Our 2020-21 LENS application is closed. Applications for the 2021-22 LENS cohort will be accepted in the spring of 2021. To be considered, each LENS candidate must have:
- A nomination form completed and submitted by their school leader
- A completed and submitted candidate application
For more information about LENS, please contact Krista Pendergast at firstname.lastname@example.org.